Are you wondering if you’ve prepared everything you need for your new Pomeranian puppy? Bringing a new Pom into the house is so exciting that you might forget something essential.
So, what do you need for a Pomeranian puppy? A Pomeranian puppy needs high-quality dog food, water and food dishes, a bed, a playpen, toys, treats, and grooming supplies. In addition to this, you should get a leash, collar, harness, and clothing for cold weather.
So, how can you choose the best supplies for your Pomeranian puppy? Keep on reading to find out the answer.
What Are the Best Dog Food and Treats for Pomeranian Puppies?
Not surprisingly, one of the things you need for a Pomeranian puppy is suitable dog food. High-quality kibble ensures that your Pom has all the necessary nutrients for their proper development and dental health. But since there are so many brands, you’re bound to get confused.
In general, Poms have delicate stomachs, and abrupt food change results in diarrhea. That’s why you should continue to feed your Pomeranian puppy the same brand of dog food as the breeder. So, you should ask about it beforehand and get a supply to last a month.
If you later decide to change the food brand, you have to do it slowly. Here are some tips to help you choose the best dog food for your Pomeranian puppy:
- Look at the ingredient list. The first ingredient should be wholesome meat, specified as turkey, chicken, salmon, etc.
- Choose all-natural dog food with a good amount of fiber and wholesome vegetables and fruits.
- Your Pomeranian puppy will benefit from high-quality dog food with added omega 3-acids, antioxidants, and supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin.
- Avoid dog foods with a lot of fillers, such as corn husks and hulls, by-products, and generic meats.
- Stay away from foods with flavoring, coloring, chemical preservatives, and other artificial ingredients.
- Some Pomeranians have grain allergies and fare better on a grain-free diet.
Since it can take you a while until you discover your Pomeranian puppy’s preferences, you should avoid buying in bulk.
Besides high-quality food, you also need to stock up on treats for training and dental care. Chose those that are all-natural without added harmful artificial ingredients or by-products.
Some Pomeranian owners opt for homemade treats instead of commercial ones. Suitable vegetables and fruits for Pomeranian include sweet peas, carrots, green beans, banana, watermelon, strawberries, and blueberries.
How to Choose the Best Bowls for a Pomeranian Puppy?
The next thing your Pomeranian puppy needs are food and water bowls. Usually, your choices are between plastic and stainless steel. I recommend stainless steel ones for several reasons: they’re easy to clean, don’t scratch, don’t slide, and they keep the water fresh.
- Stable Anti-Skid - Raised pet bowl is made from Natural high quality bamboo.The dog feeders elevated with anti slip feet make it stable and does not slide easily, it prevent your pet from sliding bowls around and provide protection for your floors. Increases Anti-slip feet on bowl insets which eliminated the impact sound when pets are eating.
- Swallowing Easily - The elevated dog dish provide ease of access to food and water.Reduces bloating and neck strain in dogs.Digestive health is dramatically improved when dogs no longer have to strain unnaturally to eat from ground level.
- Keep Cleaner And Easy To Clean - Using this elevated pet feeders keeps the feeding area cleaner.The stainless steel bowls are easy to clean.
Last update on 2022-10-02. Source: Amazon.com.
Plastic bowls are cheaper than stainless ones, but you’ll have a hard time getting rid of germs and bacteria once the plastic damages. In addition to this, plastic bowls might cause loss of pigmentation to the nose.
The food and water bowl you choose should be shallow enough so that your Pomeranian puppy can reach the food easily. So, looks for dishes suitable for toy breeds and be prepared to change the size as the puppy grows.
If your Pomeranian puppy isn’t drinking enough, you might think about getting a water fountain since the flowing water is more attractive to a dog.
Does My Pomeranian Puppy Need a Canine Bed?
A lot of Pom owners prefer to have their Pomeranian sleeping next to them. However, human beds don’t offer the support that a Pomeranian puppy needs and don’t ease the joint pressure.
- CALMING DOG BED SUPPORTS BETTER SLEEP: Thanks to its round shape, our high-quality Donut Cuddler cat and dog bed is ideal for pets who love to curl up. The raised rim creates a sense of security and provides head and neck support, while the super soft filling offers joint and muscle pain relief.
- SUPERIOR COMFORT: Cozy, flexible, and finished with vegan faux shag fur, our warming luxury dog bed is reminiscent of a mother’s fur coat. Paired with deep crevices that allow your pet to burrow, animals will have full, restful sleep for improved behavior and better health. The uniquely designed CoziLOFTfibers keep their loft for up to 3Xs longer than standard pet beds.
- VERSATILE DESIGN and MAINTENANCE: Available in beautifully natural colors, our cat and dog donut beds are a seamless addition to any room’s décor. Finished with water and dirt-resistant bottoms, accidental messes will be prevented from reaching your floors. Removable shells available on size M-2XL beds are machine washable. The entirety of the small-sized bed is machine washable. (Do not leave bed to air dry, as this may lead to tangling and matting of the faux fur).
Last update on 2022-10-02. Source: Amazon.com.
Furthermore, if your Pomeranian puppy gets used to sleeping in your bed, they might have problems settling down to nap when you’re gone. That could lead to separation anxiety.
Pomeranian puppies are also tiny and fragile. They can fall easily from your bed, or you can roll over in your sleep and hurt them accidentally.
The bottom line is that your Pomeranian needs a canine bed. Look for one that offers good support and allows your Pom to snuggle and nest. You’ll also want it to have a washable cover so that you can clean it easily.
Speaking honestly, it might take you a while to find a bed that your Pomeranian puppy likes and uses. Some owners resort to custom made beds that match their Pom’s preferences.
If you’re keeping your Pomeranian puppy in bed with you, you should have steps or ramps for toy breeds. Otherwise, your Pom might get hurt when they jump up and down from the bed.
Besides a canine bed, you need a playpen. Leaving your Pomeranian puppy to wander around your house unsupervised is a terrible idea. The playpen should be big enough for the food/water bowls, the bed, and pee pads. Of course, it also has to be big enough so that the Pom can’t climb over it.
What Toys Does a Pomeranian Puppy Need?
Let me start by saying that you don’t need a big pile of toys to keep your Pomeranian puppy busy. You need a couple of good ones that will satisfy your Pom’s needs:
- Teething toys. These have to be small enough to fit into your Pom’s mouth and scratch the itch of teething teeth. Look for twisted rope toys or nylon ones.
- Chew toys for everyday use. These have to be sturdy to withstand your Pom’s persistent chewing and suitable for small breeds.
- A companion toy so that your Pomeranian puppy doesn’t feel alone.
- Fetch toys or puzzles so that you can play together with your Pomeranian puppy.
What Other Supplies Does Your Pomeranian Puppy Need?
Once you’ve procured the right food brand along with bowls, toys, and bedding, you have a couple of more things left to get.
1. Grooming Supplies
Pomeranians look stunning, but they require your help to keep their good looks. You need a two-level steel comb, a slicker brush, mat removal, a bubble-tip pin brush, nail clippers, shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in spray.
2. Dental Care Supplies
Once your Pomeranian puppy stops teething, you’ll have to brush their teeth at least three times a week.
You can’t use human toothbrushes or toothpaste. You’ll have to get ones suitable for small dogs such as Pomeranians. Take into account your Pom’s taste preferences when you get the toothpaste.
3. A Leash and Harness
Lots of owners prefer to carry their Pomeranian in their arms, but you still need a leash and harness when you take your Pom outside.
Usually, I recommend getting a harness instead of a collar for Pomeranian puppies because they eliminate the risk of a neck injury.
Of course, your Pom still needs a light collar to attach ID tags to it. An ID tag will come in handy if your Pom gets lost or runs away. Some cities also have regulations that require dogs to have an ID tag.
In addition to this, you can’t carry your Pomeranian puppy in your arms forever. They get heavy after a while. So you’d want a stroller, a sling, or a carry bag.
As a whole, Pomeranian puppies don’t tolerate cold very well. That’s why the last thing you need for a Pomeranian puppy is clothes. You can get some vests, sweaters, or tops to keep your Pom warm when you take them outside for a walk.
In addition to this, Pomeranians look adorable in clothes, and you’re bound to take some great pictures.
Now you know what you need for a Pomeranian puppy. Don’t worry if you have forgotten something. As long as you’ve prepared the basic necessities, you can get the rest of the supplies later. Keep calm, and enjoy spending time with your new Pomeranian puppy.